[R] Random structure of nested design in lme

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Fri Aug 4 01:35:20 CEST 2006

	  I'm not familiar with 'aov', but I have two observations that might
help you:

1.  UNESTIMABLE VARIANCE COMPONENT

	  The variance component 'soiltype' is not estimable in your 'lme' model:

	lme(NA.1~soiltype*habitat,random=~1|destination/soiltype)

That's because each level of 'soiltype' occurs only once within each
level of 'destination' in the self-contained example you provided below.

	  To confirm this, I deleted 'soiltype' from this model:

fit.lme <- lme(response~soiltype*habitat, random=~1|destination/origin)
fit.lme0 <- lme(response~soiltype*habitat, random=~1|destination)

	  The answers seemed to be identical except for one thing:

 > VarCorr(fit.lme)
               Variance     StdDev
destination = pdLogChol(1)
(Intercept)   0.004149471  0.06441639
origin =      pdLogChol(1)
(Intercept)   0.060968550  0.24691810
Residual      0.007265180  0.08523603
 > VarCorr(fit.lme0)
destination = pdLogChol(1)
             Variance    StdDev
(Intercept) 0.004149471 0.06441639
Residual    0.068233730 0.26121587

	  The "Residual" variance in "fit.lme0" equals the sum of "origin" and
"Residual" variances in "fit.lme".

	  It would help if 'lme' checked for situations like this and either
refused to run or dropped inestimable variance components.  However,
it's possible that there are so many ways that variance components can
be inestimable that it's just not feasible to check for them all.  (The
function 'varcomp' in S-Plus 6.2 has the same problem.)

2.  CROSSED OR NESTED?

	  Are 'destination' and 'origin' crossed or nested in your 'aov' model:

	  aov(response~soiltype*habitat+Error(destination+origin))

	  I have not used 'aov', and I don't think I should take the time now
to try to figure this out.  However, this model specification suggests
to me that 'destination' and 'origin' might be crossed not nested.  (The
difference is the 'destination:origin' interaction:  If
'destination+origin' is crossed, their interaction is used as the error
term;  otherwise, it looks to me like you have a saturated model.)  By
contrast, 'destination/origin' in lme is 'nested', which means that the
variance component for 'origin' is in essence the crossed term and the
interaction combined.

	  I believe there is a way to estimate crossed random effects using
'lme', but I don't understand how.  Fortunately, we can do it using
'lmer' in the 'lme4' and 'Matrix' packages.

	  Because of potential conflicts between 'nlme' and 'lme4', I always
quit R and restart when I switch from one to another.  The following
will then fit something using 'lmer' that looks like it might match your
'aov' fit:

library(lme4)
fit.lme4 <- lmer(
   response~soiltype*habitat
      +(1|destination)+(1|origin), Dat0)

where Dat0 is a data.frame with columns 'response', 'soiltype',
'habitat', 'destination' and 'origin'.

	  I don't know 'aov' well enough to determine easily if the results
from this 'lmer' fit match those from 'aov', but I hope this helps.

	  Spencer Graves

ESCHEN Rene wrote:
> Spencer,
>
> Thank you for the kind and elaborate reply to my previous post.
>
> I did consider the option you suggested and many variations.
Depending on the order of the random factors, lme will either
give the same output as the aov model for soiltype or for habitat,
but not both in the same model.