[R] bullseye or polar display of "circular" data

Marc Schwartz (via MN) mschwartz at mn.rr.com
Thu Aug 3 17:31:38 CEST 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 07:46 -0700, Michael Jerosch-Herold wrote:
> I have data for several rings of a left heart chamber, and which I
> would like to display in concentric rings, with color-encoding of the
> values. Each ring corresponds to one slice through the heart, and the
> rings correspond to positions from the base to the apex of the heart
> as you move from the outermost ring to the innermost one. The data
> have a circular pattern. These types of displays are referred to as
> bullseye displays in the nuclear medicine literature. Does any reader
> of these messages know of a R function/package that offers this
> functionality?
>
> Also I noticed that in some contexts you can define a "circular"
> attribute for your data. Are there plot routines for such "circular"
> data?
>
> thank you!
>
> Michael Jerosch-Herold

You might want to take a look at the 'circular' or 'CircStats' packages
on CRAN:

http://cran.us.r-project.org/src/contrib/Descriptions/circular.html

http://cran.us.r-project.org/src/contrib/Descriptions/CircStats.html

There are some examples of plots generated using the packages in the R
Graphics Gallery here:

http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques/RGraphGallery.php?graph=121
http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques/RGraphGallery.php?graph=97

HTH,