[R] Syntax of Levene's test

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Wed Aug 2 14:39:26 CEST 2006

Dear Paul,

The argument y is the response variable and group is a factor defining
groups (as ?levene.test says). If you have more than one factor, then you
can use interaction() to create from them a factor with levels given by the
product set of the levels of the individual factors. Here's an example

> library(car)
> data(Moore)
> attach(Moore)
> levene.test(conformity, interaction(fcategory, partner.status))
Levene's Test for Homogeneity of Variance
      Df F value Pr(>F)
group  5  1.4694 0.2219
      39
> levels(interaction(fcategory, partner.status))
[1] "high.high"   "low.high"    "medium.high" "high.low"    "low.low"
[6] "medium.low"
> levels(fcategory)
[1] "high"   "low"    "medium"
> levels(partner.status)
[1] "high" "low"

I'll add a couple of examples to the help page.

I hope this helps,
 John

John Fox
Department of Sociology