[R] Break into Parts

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 15:03:57 CEST 2006

Good point.

Following Andy's comment sd(matrix(sort(x), nc=12))
could also be used if you want them broken up
by 6 smallest, next 6 smallest, etc. although
there might be differences in the case of ties.

Using tapply here are a number of ways of breaking
it up (the first three give the same answer as
sd(matrix(x,nc=12))) while the others form the
groups in different ways:

tapply(x, gl(12, 6), sd)
tapply(x, rep(1:12, each = 6), sd)
tapply(sort(x), gl(12, 6), sd)

tapply(x, rep(1:12, 6), sd)
tapply(sort(x), rep(1:6, 12), sd)
tapply(sort(x), rep(1:6, each = 12), sd)