[R] Error in readChar(): invalid UTF-8 input

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Apr 27 19:33:48 CEST 2006

On 4/27/2006 1:21 PM, Brandon.J.Whitcher at gsk.com wrote:
> I have R code to read a binary header file, consisting of several
> readBin() and readChar() statements.  I am currently using version R-2.2.1
> (on x86_64, RH EL4) and have received the following error
>
>         Error in readChar(fid, n = 1) : invalid UTF-8 input in readChar()
>
> This is strange because (a) I was able to read in this file successfully
> in previous versions of R (circa 2005) and (b) it doesn't fail all the
> time; i.e., other readChar() statements work.
>
> When I access the header file using a different piece of software, it
> gives the value "-1" for the field.
>
> What's going on?

Probably the older versions of R were not trying to interpret the field
as UTF-8:  that's locale-dependent, and a relatively recent addition.
Not all byte sequences are legal UTF-8 encodings, and it sounds as
though R is trying to tell you that yours is not.

To say more than this would require lots more information from you, for
example a reproducible example.  Can you write the same bytes that are
in that field into a file by themselves, and read that file?  Can you
read the file using the current version of R (2.3.0)?  What about on
other platforms?

Duncan Murdoch