B.Rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Apr 26 11:56:09 CEST 2006
Romain Francois wrote:
> What about
> - place somewhere a div called 'Focus on a package' where we could have
> a short presentation of a package, etc ... or for a CRAN task view (to
> do that, php would be great, but we can do I don't know perl scripts to
> generate static html pages)
> - a direct link to download R, which will redirect to the appropriate
> CRAN thanks to cookies
> - Propose the Table of Contents of the last volume of R news.
> - reduce the ratio (size of the head page graphic) / (information
> directly accesible)
> - move search, task views, and documentation from cran to www
Now maybe my original assessment that a CMS wasn't worth investing in
needs a rethink.
Suppose www.r-project.org was rebuilt with Plone: http://plone.org/
* An easy-to-edit set of accessible web pages
* A thorough search of site content
* News and Events objects
* Replace CRAN with Plone Software Center:
http://plone.org/products/plonesoftwarecenter - as used to display plone
Products here: http://plone.org/products
* Use Plone Help Center for documentation, as used here:
* Use poi to replace the R-bugs system: http://plone.org/products/poi
- although plone itself has moved to using 'trac'
Of course, it requires time, hosting, and enthusiasm.... I'm currently
lacking all three.
More information about the R-help