[R] www.r-project.org

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Tue Apr 25 20:36:26 CEST 2006

<see inline>

hadley wickham wrote:

>>The R Web site is working fine. <snip>
>
> As an experienced user of the R website, this probably is true for
> you.  However, there are a number of confusing problems for new users
> of the site:
>
>  * how do you download R?
>  * how do you bookmark a specific page?

*** If I find something with "R Site Search" on "www.r-project.org", I
can NOT just copy the web address into an email, because the "address"
is still "www.r-project.org".  However, if I use RSiteSearch from within
  R, I get an honest address (like
"http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02a/archive/47417.html"), which I
can then paste into an email like this.

	  If it weren't too difficult to display the address for each item
retrieved from the archives, it would make it easier it use "R Site
Search" without opening R.

	  Thanks to all the core R team, including Jonathan Baron, whose
support of "R Site Search" has prevented me from "tearing my hair out"
on many occasions (and I don't have much left to tear out).  When people
ask me questions about S-Plus, I often go to "R Site Search", and then
see if I can somehow use in S-Plus any R solution I find.

	  Best Wishes,
	  spencer graves
p.s.  I also have a strong preference for avoiding fancy features.  I've
been burned so many times with viruses and software that never performed
as advertized for many unknown reasons that I routinely check "no" when
asked if I want to install "Micromedia Flash", and I hope I won't have
to install it to use a future version of "www.r-project.org".