[R] comparing execition time: R vs matlab linear algebra...

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Apr 20 08:38:08 CEST 2006

You haven't told us your platform.  On most platforms, R does not
build/ship with an optimized BLAS, and this can make a big difference to
execution times of such problems.  See the R-admin manual.

Beyond that, qr/qr.coef is not the most obvious way to solve linear
systems (solve is), and the option LAPACK=TRUE will be faster, not least
because it can make better use of an optimzed BLAS.

And yes, if `sparse' is a form of sparseness that packages can exploit, it
will help to use them, and you must be using sparseness in Matlab to even
be able to store the matrices.

R is not a numerical linear algbra system and does not intend to compete
with say Octave. Rather, it aims to have enough facilities that in almost
all uses of R, the slowness of linear algebra is not the limiting factor.
I do wonder why you are porting Matlab scripts to R if Matlab can handle
them.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk