[R] I am surprised (and a little irritated)

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Wed Apr 19 22:48:48 CEST 2006

Gabor Csardi <csardi at rmki.kfki.hu> writes:

> Tom,
>
> I'm irritated as well. Your email should go to some suse mailing list,
> this is a suse problem, it has (almost) nothing to do with R.

Well, there's a maintainer of the SuSE packages, to whom you can
complain. It is possible to put better package dependencies in the
RPMs (Fedora Extras does this) but there's only the one maintainer on
SuSE and it could well be that it would take more time than he has.

> Unfortunately i can't help you (even if i wanted), because i don't want to
> read the suse manuals. But if you want to use suse you may consider reading
> them.
>
> Gabor
>
> On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 09:05:22PM +0200, Tom Backer Johnsen wrote:
> > I have started with using R on Windows, and I am really happy about
> > the system.  Now, one of my other ambitions is to learn how to use
> > Linux, so yesterday I downloaded OpenSuse and installed that.  The
> > next problem was to try to use R with Linux.  And there I met the
> > wall.  I've understood that RPM's are somewhat like installing
> > programs on Windows, so that was downloaded and started with YAST.

Actually, they're not. On Windows, software typically comes in
monolithic blocks. Nearly everything included, because the basic OS
provides very little. On Linux distributions, you have a large
"jigsaw" of pieces that fit together in multiple ways. Ideally, each
piece contains information about which of the other pieces it needs,
but unfortunately there is no automatic way to generate such
dependencies, so it is possible to get them wrong.