[R] 3D pie

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 19:52:01 CEST 2006

Since everyone else wimped out with a tedious you-do-not-want-to-do-that,
here is a solution that uses R to control Excel and create a 3d chart.
 You will
need the RDCOMclient package that you can find via google.

library(RDCOMClient)
xl <- COMCreate("Excel.Application")  # starts up Excel
xl[["Visible"]] <- TRUE                       # Excel becomes visible
wkbk <- xl$Workbooks()$Add()          # new workbook

# set some cells

sh <- xl$ActiveSheet()

for(i in 1:5) {
  lab <- sh$Cells(i,1)
  lab[["Value"]] <- letters[i]
  val <- sh$Cells(i,2)
  val[["Value"]] <- i
}

ch <- xl$Charts()
ch$Add()

ac <- xl$ActiveChart()
xl3DPieExploded <- 70
ac[["ChartType"]] <- xl3DPieExploded

xlColumn <- 2
ac$SetSourceData(Source = sh$Range("A1:B5"), PlotBy = xlColumn)

# now right click the chart and make any other settings you like.