[R] isoMDS and 0 distances

Christian Hennig chrish at stats.ucl.ac.uk
Wed Apr 19 12:43:58 CEST 2006

About replacing the zeroes with tiny numbers:
isoMDS works with the rankings of the distances. Therefore replacing
zeroes by tiny values gives them a rank above the "real" zeroes (distance
to same observation) and below all the non-zero distances. If this makes
sense in your application (in my experience it usually does), you can do
it.

Sometimes the classical MDS solution is a local optimum of the isoMDS
criterion. In these cases isoMDS "converges" in one step (rather it gives
you the classical MDS solution). This may happen with and without zero
or NA distances.

Best,
Christian