[R] R debugging options

Larry Howe larry.howe at comjet.com
Tue Apr 18 01:45:08 CEST 2006

Hello,

What options are available for me to debug my R scripts? For example I
normally do something like

>source("myfunctions.R")
>function1("height", "weight")

myfunctions.R is a large R source file that contains many functions. function1
is the "main" function in myfunctions.R. It calls many other user-written
functions that are also in myfunctions.R.

I only want to debug the R scripts. I do not need to get into the code of R
itself. I would like to be able to:

- see the source as I am debugging
- execute line-by-line
- see and modify variables
- have the option to either descend into function calls, or not
- have the option to either descend into loops, or not

Maybe this is asking too much but I thought I would lay out my dreams and then
you can tell me what is really possible.

Thanks,
Larry Howe