[R] Plotting positions in qqnorm?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Apr 14 15:23:16 CEST 2006

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006, David Scott wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Apr 2006, Spencer Graves wrote:
>
>> 	  Do you know of a reference that discusses alternative choices for
>> plotting positions for a normal probability plot?  The documentation for
>> qqnorm says it calls ppoints, which returns qnorm((1:m-a)/(m+1-2*a))
>> with "a" = ifelse(n<=10, 3/8, 1/2)?  The help pages for qqnorm and
>> ppoints just refer to Becker, Chambers and Wilks (1988) The New S
>> Language (Wadsworth & Brooks/Cole), and I couldn't find any discussion
>> of this.

It's there, on the printed help page for ppoints.

>> 	  I seem to recall that this was discussed in 1960 or earlier in a
>> paper by Anscombe, but I can't find a reference and I wonder if someone
>> might suggest something else.  I've been asked to comment on specialized
>> software that allows the user to select "a" = +/-0.5, 0, 0.3, and 0.3175
>> (but not 0.375 = 3/8, curiously).
>>
>> 	  I'd also be interested in any examples of real data sets where the
>> choice of "a" actually made a difference.  When I've had so few data
>> points that the choice for "a" might make a difference, a normal
>> probability plot was not very informative, anyway, and I get more
>> information from a simple dot plot.  If your experience is different,
>> I'd like to know.
>>
>> 	  Thanks,
>> 	  Spencer Graves
>>
> I suspect that what you are looking for is this paper:
>
> Hyndman, Rob J. and Fan, Yanan (1996)
> Sample quantiles in statistical packages
> The American Statistician, 50, 361-365
>
> which discusses different definitions of sample quantiles. See also the
> documentation for quantile.

The adjustment is for the population and not the sample quantiles.  But
the article is in a small part relevant as it discusses definitions of QQ
plots, and refers to the work of Blom (see below).

The usual reason given is that 1-sample QQ plots should be against not the
population quantiles but against the expected order statistics of a sample
of size n from the population.  That's where the adjustment comes from,
and is related to the type 9 in ?quantile (although that I think needs to
say what they are supposed to be unbiased estimators of).

Unfortunately the CVS data is no longer available for package stats prior
to its split from base.  But see the thread starting

http://www.r-project.org/nocvs/mail/r-devel/1998/0587.html

which is unfortunately typical of the misrepresentation that is far too
prevalent here: MASS2 says what the values _were_ in S, not what they
should be.

This is a Blue Book function, and that contains a reference to

G. Blom (1958) Statistical Estimates and Transformed Beta Variables.
Wiley.

That's not readily available to me (it is in the library stacks), but
maybe someone interested would like to look it up to expand on the brief
mention in Hyndman & Fan.

Incidentally, S-PLUS (>= 6.2) differs from S and uses a=1/2.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk