[R] using GDD fonts

Jeffrey Horner jeff.horner at vanderbilt.edu
Thu Apr 13 06:15:05 CEST 2006

Luiz Rodrigo Tozzi wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> It really worked!!
>
> thanks!
>
> now my only problem is about the image size, that is huge!
>
> im using the type="png" and switching to png8 does not reduce the
> color depth.. do you know something about is?

I've hacked around on the GDD code before. From what I remember, all png
files are created in true color.

> 2006/4/12, Tim Churches <tchur at optushome.com.au>:
>> Luiz Rodrigo Tozzi wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I was searching for some X replacement for my job in R and i found the GDD
>>>
>>> I installed it and I match all the system requirements. My problem
>>> (maybe a dumb one) is that every plot comes with no font and i cant
>>> find a simgle example of a plot WITH FONT DETAIL in the list
>>>
>>> can anybody help me?
>>>
>>> a simple example:
>>>
>>> library(GDD)
>>> GDD("something.png", type="png", width = 700, height = 500)
>>> par(cex.axis=0.65,lab=c(12,12,0),mar=c(2.5, 2.5, 2.5, 2.5))
>>> plot(rnorm(100))
>>> mtext("Something",side=3,padj=-0.33,cex=1)
>>> dev.off()
>>>
>>> thanks in advance!
>> This might help - we found that we needed to install the MS TT fonts and
>> make sure that GDD can find them, as per the README. :
>>
>> Simon Urbanek <simon.urbanek at r-project.org> wrote:
>>> Tim,

>>> I know of no such problem, I tested a few lattice graphics and they
>>> worked. Can you, please, send me reproducible example and your output?
>>> Also send me, please output of
>>> library(GDD)
>>> .Call("gdd_look_up_font", NULL)
>> Sorry, my laziness. GDD was unable to find any fonts. After I installed
>> the MS TT fonts and set their location as per the GDD README, it worked
>> perfectly with both old-style R graphics and lattice graphics. The
>> output looks very nice indeed. We'll do a bit more testing (and let you
>> know if we find any problems), but it looks like we can at last drop the
>> requirement for Xvfb when using R in a Web application. Great work! From
>> our point of view, GDD solves one the biggest problem with R for Web
>> applications.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Tim C
>>

> --
>      Luiz Rodrigo Lins Tozzi

>     luizrodrigotozzi at gmail.com
>           (21)91318150

>     http://luizrodrigotozzi.multiply.com/
>     http://www.flogao.com.br/luizrodrigotozzi

Jeffrey Horner       Computer Systems Analyst         School of Medicine
615-322-8606         Department of Biostatistics   Vanderbilt University