[R] question about source package

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Thu Apr 13 01:09:02 CEST 2006

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, James Anderson wrote:

> Hi,
>  Just a silly question about R source package:
>  I downloaded some source package of R and found there are some source
> codes written in C, is this true for all the R packages? but it seems
> that not all the functions described in the package are contained in the
> source package written in C. Could anybody explain to me the structure
> of the source package and how it is created?

The package structure is described in the "Writing R Extensions" manual,
and each package has a set of subdirectories.  All packages should have a
man/ subdirectory with help files and nearly all will have an R/ directory
with R code.  Many packages also have compiled code in C or Fortran, which
will be in a src/ subdirectory.  Other important directories are tests/,
data/, and inst/doc/ (where vignettes live).

One way to do some of the set-up automatically is with the
package.skeleton function.

 	-thomas