[R] long captions -- new issue

Brian Quinif bquinif at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 06:48:21 CEST 2006

I have found out that the way to have a break apart a long caption in
the way that one desires is to have a short caption for use in the
list of tables that is not broken with \\

I can manually adjust the LaTeX output from the Hmisc function latex()
to get the tables how I want them.  However, I would like to automate
the creation of these tables.

Inside the latex() function, I tried this:
caption='Estimated HOPE Effects on \\ Typical First-Year Students, 1990/1995 \\
	(Robust Std. Errors in Parentheses)',
              caption.lot='HOPE Effects on Typical First-Year Students'

The resulting latex output however, turns the "\\" into "\", which
will not create the line breaks that I want.

How can I remedy this?

Thanks,

BQ