[R] cclust causes R to crash when using manhattan kmeans

Timo Becker timo.becker at oeaw.ac.at
Fri Apr 7 10:32:45 CEST 2006

Uwe Ligges schrieb:

> Timo Becker wrote:
>
>> Dear R users,
>>
>> When I run the following code, R crashes:
>>
>> require(cclust)
>> x <- matrix(c(0,0,0,1.5,1,-1), ncol=2, byrow=TRUE)
>> cclust(x, centers=x[2:3,], dist="manhattan", method="kmeans")
>>
>> While this works:
>>
>> cclust(x, centers=x[2:3,], dist="euclidean", method="kmeans")
>>
>> I'm posting this here because I am not sure if it is a bug.
>> I've been searching for a manhattan kmeans method and I found a
>> solution by using the package amap:
>>
>> require(amap)
>> Kmeans(x, x[2:3,], method="manhattan")
>>
>> This works for me, so I don't need the cclust package anymore.
>> Anyway, I wanted to report the cclust behaviour.
>

> Please report it to its mainatiner (CCing).
>
> Uwe Ligges

I've already done that on February, 17th, but got no reply.
Perhaps my mail was caught by a spam filter.
Another explanation could be that as

Friedrich.Leisch at tuwien.ac.at wrote:

>* cclust is no longer actively maintained, the code has been
>  integrated in my more general package flexclust, see also
>  http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/~leisch/papers/Leisch-2006.pdf
>  (but cclust in flexclust has the same bug, so thanks a lot for
>  reporting it).

Because of this and because I did not know if it really is a bug (in
this case I should have posted it to the R-bugs mailing list) I posted
it here.

Greetings,
Timo

--