[R] weighted kernel density estimate

May, Roel Roel.May at nina.no
Thu Apr 6 14:29:34 CEST 2006

Dear R-users,

I intend to do a spatial analysis on the genetic structuring within a
population. For this I had thought to prepare a kernel density estimate
map showing the spatial distribution of individuals, while incorporating
the genetic distances among individuals. I have a dataset of locations
of N unique individuals (XY-coordinates) and an NxN matrix with the
genetic distances given as a fraction between 0 and 1. As far as I
understand the methodology, a kernel density estimate works with the
geographic distance matrix. My idea was to somehow incorporate the
genetic distance matrix (e.g. as an among-individual-based smoothing
factor???) in the estimation. Does anyone know if this is possible? To
me it sounds a logical inclusion which may be interesting for a wide
variety of topics (i.e., "not all individuals are equal"). I hope
someone knows of any way to proceed. Thanks in advance,

Cheers Roel May

Roel May
Norwegian Institute for Nature Research (NINA)
Tungasletta 2, NO-7485 Trondheim, Norway
Tlf. +47 73 80 14 65, Mob. +47 95 78 59 95
Email roel.may at nina.no
Internett www.nina.no, www.jerv.info