[R] Correlation of coefficients?

Peter Ehlers ehlers at math.ucalgary.ca
Thu Apr 6 01:18:49 CEST 2006

If you're talking about regression models, then I'm puzzled that
this occurs "frequently" in R, since the summary.lm() function
defaults to 'correlation = FALSE'. S-PLUS defaults to TRUE.
Can you give an example where R gives you the correlations of
coefficients?

Anyway, parameter estimators are correlated random variables and,
in the case of regression, summary(model, correlation = TRUE) gives
the estimated correlation matrix. This must be somewhere in MASS,
the book; any decent linear models text should will have a
discussion, e.g. Draper and Smith, Applied Regression Analysis.

Peter Ehlers