[R] R performance: different CPUs

Jasjeet Singh Sekhon sekhon at berkeley.edu
Thu Apr 6 00:24:38 CEST 2006

Hi,

64bit CPUs, such as opterons, help significantly with large databases
or if you are running multiple processes.  But there is a speed
penalty if you are not.

Some packages can make use of multiple processors, such as my rgenoud
(genetic optimization using derivatives) and Matching packages, but
most do not.  For these packages the speed up is significant.  There
are also multithreaded BLAS which can be used reliably under LINUX,
but the speed benefit is usually small.

You may want to check out some benchmarks at:

http://sekhon.berkeley.edu/macosx/ (linux does very well).

Cheers,
JS.

Jasjeet S. Sekhon