[R] -newbie | RODBC import query

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Apr 4 19:10:50 CEST 2006

Here is real example anyone can use since it ships with R.

library(RODBC)
con <- odbcConnectDbase(system.file("files", "sids.dbf", package="foreign"))
tmp <- sqlFetch(con, "sids")
close(con)

As I have written before, ".dbf" is not well-defined, and it depends on
Microsoft's driver and your database agreeing on the format.

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006, Jeff Newmiller wrote:

> Evan Cooch wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> OK, so after a bit of reading, seems I need to use RODBC (I'm using
>> [R] 2.2.1 for Windows, at the moment). But, I can't seem to figure
>> out the basics. Suppose the file I need to 'work with' is
>> test.dbf  So, I try the following:
>>
>>   library(RODBC);
>>   import_dat <- odbcConnectDbase("c:\documents and
>> settings\egc\desktop\test.dbf")
>
> [...]
>
>> Suggestions? Apologies if this is easy, or (worse) and FAQ.
>
> Without test data, I can't say much.  I don't use DBF very often
> anymore, but I do use ODBC, and I always use ODBC Administrator
> in the Control Panel to setup a DSN before using a data source.
> Something to try, anyway.  I suspect you won't want to give any hints
> to R about "Dbase" if you have to do that... it should be treated
> as a generic data source.

Whyever advise against the information given in the package?

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk