[R] argv[0] --- again

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Apr 4 02:51:37 CEST 2006

On 4/3/2006 8:44 PM, ivo welch wrote:
> may I ask one more item?  is there an "official" or "best" way to
> request that R add a standardized option that tells the user the R
> script name?  I understand that most of the R developers read this
> group (bless them!), and the R developers may disagree about the
> usefulness/effort ratio of such a feature  and not do it; I just want
> to suggest it, so that it ends up on the radar screen as a blip.

The official and best ways are different.  The official way is to submit
a "wishlist" item as a bug report.  This may or may not result in any
action, depending on how easy it is, and whether anyone has any spare time.

The best way is to write a patch that does what you want, and send it to
a sympathetic member of R core who can commit it to the code base.

In either case, it's a good idea to discuss the idea first on the
r-devel list.  Explain what R currently does, and what you want it to do
instead, and why.  Since it's a suggestion about R development, it won't
receive the necessary attention on this list.

Duncan Murdoch