[R] Sourcing data files into different array fields

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sun Apr 2 03:23:07 CEST 2006

Use the local= argument of source.

Here we createa a list, L, whose ith component is an environment,
viz. the environment of the instance of f that did the sourcing,
containing the sourced objects.  First we create some test
files: /a1 and /a2 and then we create L.  The components
of L can be referred to as L[[1]], L[[2]] or using filenames
L[["a1"]], L[["a2"]] and the components can be extracted
via L[["a1"]]$a, etc.

# create test files
files <- paste("/a", 1:2, sep = "")
for(i in seq(files)) cat("a <-", i, "\n", file = files[i])

# read them back
f <- function(.x) { source(.x, local = TRUE); environment() }
L <- sapply(files, f, simplify = FALSE)
ls(L[[1]]) # "a"
L[[1]]$a # 1