[R] Disable LazyLoading mechanism completely

Paul Roebuck roebuck at mdanderson.org
Sat Apr 1 12:23:03 CEST 2006

On Sat, 1 Apr 2006, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
>
> > On 31 March 2006 at 16:15, Paul Roebuck wrote:
> > | Is there a global option somewhere that can completely
> > | disable the LazyLoad option? I want all my packages
> > | in source format for searching purposes, crippled by
> > | the conversion to database format.
> >
> > AFAICT setting LazyLoad=No in DESCRIPTION might do the trick.
> >
> > For reasons I fail to understand I have to set it to that value for Debian
> > builds of the Rcmdr package, and the resulting package does indeed have R
> > code as plain sources. I'd agree with you that being able to read, and hence
> > search, the code is a good thing but I also trust the R masters on the
> > advantages of lazy loading.  There may be an option to diable it globally ...
>
> Quite a large number of packages (including almost all using S4 methods)
> *do not work* without lazyloading or saved images.  So this option would
> just break other people's work.

Can you elaborate a bit on this statement? S4 predates
LazyLoad and used to work just fine before that mechanism
was introduced. Indeed, several of my own packages have S4
methods and work with neither LazyLoading nor saved images.
Should that be read as "since package authors made one-way
changes to support LazyLoad"? Is there some way to tell
whether a package can do without it?