[R] Reset R's temporary directory automatically

Paul Roebuck roebuck at mdanderson.org
Sat Apr 1 00:06:38 CEST 2006

I have run into this several times now. I leave a copy of
R running for days at a time. At some point in time, the
temporary directory R uses no longer exists. Once that
happens, installs (and other basic operations) stop
functioning. Currently I recreate the directory manually
by failing some basic operation and recreating the directory
specified in the error message.

How can I get R to reset its current temporary directory
setting without my intervention?

> version
         _
platform powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0