[R] Fisher's discriminant functions

C NL cniharral_rhelp at yahoo.es
Thu Sep 29 17:04:55 CEST 2005

Hi everyone,

  I'm trying to solve a problem about how to get the
Fisher's discriminant functions of a "lda" (linear
discriminant analysis) object, I mean, the object
obtained from doing "lda(formula, data)" function of
the package MASS in R-project. This object gives me
the canonical linear functions (n-1 coefficients
matrix of n groups at least), and only with this
information I could predict the group of an
observation data using the "predict" function. But
what I need is the Fisher's discriminant functions (n
coefficients matrix of n groups) in order to classify
my future data.

   The object "predict" gives me only the following
attributes "x", "posterior" and "class", but none of
them are the coefficients matrix of the Fisher's
discriminant functions, and the reason why I'm not
using the "predict" function for my predictions is
because the time spent is very high for what I'm
expecting, about 0.5 seconds while I can obtain this
prediction with the Fisher's discriminant functions
faster.

   So, I don't know if there's a package which I can
use to obtain the mentioned coefficients matrix of the
Fisher's discriminant functions.

   I anyone can help, I would appreciate it greatly.

Thank you and regards.

   Carlos Niharra López