[R] anova on binomial LMER objects

Alan Cobo-Lewis alanc at umit.maine.edu
Thu Sep 29 14:53:19 CEST 2005

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, Robert Bagchi wrote:
>>Hi Patrick
>>
>>thanks for your advice. I have now tried glmmPQL, and it worked fine -
>>I'm getting consistent results between plots and models fitted by
>>glmmPQL. Plus it allows predict() and resid() which is another advantage
>>over lmer at present.
>>
>>quick question though: why does one need to use PQL for binomial models?
>>Is there a good reference for this?

You don't have to use PQL for binomial models, but you can't use least-squares. PQL is an approximate solution. Laplace and Adaptive Gaussian Quadrature options in lmer are better approximations. So lmer would likely become the better option as it
progresses in its development (though the current issues you've found with the F ratios certainly sound like maybe lmer isn't better for you in its current incarnation).
alan

--
Alan B. Cobo-Lewis, Ph.D.		(207) 581-3840 tel
Department of Psychology		(207) 581-6128 fax
Orono, ME 04469-5742     		alanc at maine.edu

http://www.umaine.edu/visualperception