[R] p-level in packages mgcv and gam

Denis Chabot chabotd at globetrotter.net
Wed Sep 28 15:30:41 CEST 2005

I only got one reply to my message:

> No, this won't work.  The problem is the usual one with model
> selection: the p-value is calculated as if the df had been fixed,
> when really it was estimated.
>
> It is likely to be quite hard to get an honest p-value out of
> something that does adaptive smoothing.
>
>     -thomas

I do not understand this: it seems that a lot of people chose df=4
for no particular reason, but p-levels are correct. If instead I
choose df=8 because a previous model has estimated this to be an
optimal df, P-levels are no good because df are estimated?

Furthermore, shouldn't packages gam and mgcv give similar results
when the same data and df are used? I tried this:

library(gam)
data(kyphosis)
kyp1 <- gam(Kyphosis ~ s(Age, 4), family=binomial, data=kyphosis)
kyp2 <- gam(Kyphosis ~ s(Number, 4), family=binomial, data=kyphosis)
kyp3 <- gam(Kyphosis ~ s(Start, 4), family=binomial, data=kyphosis)
anova.gam(kyp1)
anova.gam(kyp2)
anova.gam(kyp3)

detach(package:gam)
library(mgcv)
kyp4 <- gam(Kyphosis ~ s(Age, k=4, fx=T),  family=binomial,
data=kyphosis)
kyp5 <- gam(Kyphosis ~ s(Number, k=4, fx=T),  family=binomial,
data=kyphosis)
kyp6 <- gam(Kyphosis ~ s(Start, k=4, fx=T),  family=binomial,
data=kyphosis)
anova.gam(kyp4)
anova.gam(kyp5)
anova.gam(kyp6)

P levels for these models, by pair

kyp1 vs kyp4: p= 0.083 and 0.068 respectively (not too bad)
kyp2 vs kyp5: p= 0.445 and 0.03 (wow!)
kyp3 vs kyp6: p= 0.053 and 0.008 (wow again)

Also if you plot all these you find that the mgcv plots are smoother
than the gam plots, even the same df are used all the time.

I am really confused now!

Denis

Début du message réexpédié :