[R] R CMD build produces tar error under FreeBSD 5.4

Andrew Robinson A.Robinson at ms.unimelb.edu.au
Sun Sep 25 09:44:51 CEST 2005

Hi R-helpers,

I am trying to build a package under FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE #0 using R
Version 2.1.1.

I have constructed a package using package.skeleton(), when I try

$ R CMD build foo
* checking for file 'foo/DESCRIPTION' ... OK
* preparing 'foo':
* checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ... OK
* cleaning src
* removing junk files
tar: Option -L is not permitted in mode -x
Error: cannot open file 'foo/DESCRIPTION' for reading

foo/DESCRIPTION exists and the permissions are correct. The same
command works under Linux Fedora 2.  The man pages on each OS imply
that tar differs across the two platforms.  Does anyone have any
thoughts on a work-around?

Thanks

Andrew
--
Andrew Robinson
Senior Lecturer in Statistics                       Tel: +61-3-8344-9763