[R] bagplot - a rough R function

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Sep 21 17:55:56 CEST 2005

    Peter> In the moment I am writing an R function for drawing
    Peter> bagplots (two dimensional boxplots).
    Peter> For some elements of the plot are found numerically
    Peter> the resulting plots differs a little bit from the correct bagplots.

    Peter> Here is the link to the actual version:

    Peter> http://www.wiwi.uni-bielefeld.de/~wolf/software/R-wtools/bagplot/bagplot.R
    Peter> ( R code )

    Peter> http://www.wiwi.uni-bielefeld.de/~wolf/software/R-wtools/bagplot/bagplot.pdf
    Peter> (examples and description)

    Peter> Now I am looking for examples to test / to improve my function.
    Peter> Where can I get data sets and the corresponding correct bagplots?

I'll send you my (unpublished) version of my package 'bagplot'
{{the one I've never released because of segmentation fault bugs
  somewhere in Fortran}} in a private E-mail.

In my version I had started make a function
   bag()
which *computes* all the information needed and then returns an
(S3) object "bag".  Then, the plotting happens via
the
    plot.bag <- function(.....) {..........}
method.

So you can say

if you want both (computing and plotting) at once, but can also
separate the two --- following very much the modern "S" way
"whole object ..".

Martin