[R] about set.seed

Campbell p.campbell at econ.bbk.ac.uk
Wed Sep 21 11:49:25 CEST 2005

I'm not an expert on set.seed but I think it would be helpful if you
could post the relevant section of your code.

Phineas Campbell

>>> <nlei at sfu.ca> 09/21/05 7:46 AM >>>
Hi there,

I have some question about set.seed these days which I may need your
help.

I'm working on some sampling project which need to generate random
numbers
by some distributions(like bivariate normal). I noticed that in
different
computers to run my code,I got very significant different results. Then
started to try set.seed command which I wish to see by fixing the same
random numbers what can happen. But it turned out when I run my codes in
two
computers I still can get different results. I tried different
computers.
Some of them I can get the same results but some not. A special case is
run in two computers which have R version 2.0.1 and 2.1.1 separetely.
And
the results are different.

Now my question is what's the reason can make the different result
happen
when we run the same codes by setting the same seed?

This will help me a lot with my project.Thank you very much!

Linda