[R] Help on optim

Ingmar Visser I.Visser at uva.nl
Wed Sep 21 10:50:31 CEST 2005

Hi Manoj,
AFAIK there is no way in R to optimize functions under general linear
equality constraints (for inequality constraints there is constrOptim). In
your case you could reparametrize such that you estimate weights w(1) ...
w(n-1) and simply compute w(n) from those.
Even so, it would be great to have a routine that does optimization under
general linear constraints. Maybe someone out there could port the OPT++
library to R ... OPT++ is an open source optimization library that does
general linear and non-linear and bound-constraint optimization.
hth, ingmar