[R] Teaching R - In front of the computer?

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Mon Sep 19 20:24:53 CEST 2005

Dear Roland,

I've taught the use of R to this kind of audience many times. Take a
look at
<http://socserv.socsci.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Courses/UCLA/index.html> for
materials used in such a workshop, and at
<http://socserv.socsci.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Teaching-with-R.pdf> for a
paper on teaching social statistics with R.

As others have suggested, using static slides is not a good idea, and
having at least a live display for the presenter is essential. It also
helps to have the students sitting at computers and able to try things
out for themselves. If this is a workshop devoted to R, I'd strongly
recommend this format.

On the other hand, if you're teaching R in the context of a more
general statistics course, you can cover the basics in a hands-on
workshop and then use the LCD projector to introduce new commands,
etc., during the course as they're needed. I find that once they've
acquired the basics, students are able to work more independently.

I hope this helps,
 John