[R] Random effect model

Hathaikan Chootrakool Hathaikan.Chootrakool at newcastle.ac.uk
Wed Sep 14 18:01:04 CEST 2005

Dear R-help group,

I would like to model directly following random effect model:

  Y_ik = M_ik +  E_ik  where M_ik  ~ N(Mew_k,tau_k^2)
                             E_ik  ~ N(0,s_ik^2)
  i = number of study
  k = number of treatment

I have practiced using the command  from 'Mixed -Effects models in S and
S-plus' as follow

fm1logit.lme <- lme(logitp~1, data=logit, random = ~1|factor(Tr))

It can be written in this model

Y_ik = Mew + B_i + E_ik  where M_i ~ N(0,sigma_b^2)
                               E_ik ~ N(0,sigma^2)

 but it is not the same what my model is.

Could somebody please point me in the right direction ?

 Sorry if this turns out to be an extreamly simple question, I'm a
 new user to R.

 Thank you very much,

 Ae