[R] Graphical presentation of logistic regression

Beale, Colin Colin.Beale at rspb.org.uk
Wed Sep 14 12:40:00 CEST 2005

Hi,

I wonder if anyone has written any code to implement the suggestions of
Smart et al (2004) in the Bulletin of the Ecological Society of America
for a new way of graphically presenting the results of logistic
regression (see
www.esapubs.org/bulletin/backissues/085-3/bulletinjuly2004_2column.htm#t
ools1 for the full text)? I couldn't find anything relating to this sort
of graphical representation of logistic models in the archives, but
maybe someone has solved it already? In short, Smart et al suggest that
a logistic regression be presented as a combination of the two
histograms for successes and failures (with one presented upside down at
the top of the figure, the other the right way up at the bottom)
overlaid by the probability function (ie logistic curve). It's somewhat
hard to describe, but is nicely illustrated in the full text version
above. I think it is a sensible way of presenting these results and am
keen to do so - at the moment I can only do this by generating the two
histograms and the logistic curve separately (using hist() and lines()),
then copying and pasting the graphs out of R and inverting one in a
graphics package, before overlying the others. I'm sure this could be
done within R and would be a handy plotting function to develop. Has
anyone done so, or can anyone give me any pointers to doing this? I
really nead to know how to invert a histogram and how to overlay this
with another histogram "the right way up".

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Colin