[R] VB and R

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Sep 13 13:54:14 CEST 2005

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005, Tuszynski, Jaroslaw W. wrote:

> I belive R, which is platform independent, does not work with any platform
> specific software or languages, like Visual Basic. Can you write your code
> by passing information through input/output files (CSV & HML might be good
> formats)?

R can be used in a (D)COM context - see:

http://cran.r-project.org/contrib/extra/dcom

and can be embedded in other software systems too. To quote from:

http://cran.r-project.org/contrib/extra/dcom/RSrv135.html

"R (D)COM server provides a mechanism for standard applications like
Microsoft Excel or custom applications written in any language serving as
a COM client (e.g. Visual Basic, Perl) to use the R as a powerful
computational engine and renderer for graphics and text output."

Because there are so many possibilities, the "good paper" is in the
examples, there isn't (as far as I know) a complete manual.