[R] Off-topic: Comparing standard errors from simulation andanalytical model

Dimitris Rizopoulos dimitris.rizopoulos at med.kuleuven.be
Fri Sep 9 17:09:22 CEST 2005

since you are interested especially in the standard errors, I think
that you probably need something like a double simulation procedure,
e.g.,

1. simulate data D[b] and "contaminate" them.

2. fit the model (with parameters \theta) using D[b], get \theta[b]
and also compute the standard errors se.a[b] using the asymptotic
method.

3. using \theta[b] simulate M new data sets, "contaminate" them, fit
the model in each one, obtain \theta[m] and calculate the standard
deviation of these estimates se.mc[b]

4. keep res[b] = (se.mc[b] - se.a[b]) / se.mc[b]

5. repeat steps 1-4 B times and calculate, e.g., a 95% CI for res
using the sample quantiles.

of course this is going to be much more time consuming (depending on
the choices of B and M), but I think it will give you better a picture
of how your method performs.

I hope this helps.

Best,
Dimitris

----
Dimitris Rizopoulos
Ph.D. Student
Biostatistical Centre
School of Public Health
Catholic University of Leuven

Address: Kapucijnenvoer 35, Leuven, Belgium
Tel: +32/16/336899
Fax: +32/16/337015
Web: http://www.med.kuleuven.be/biostat/
     http://www.student.kuleuven.be/~m0390867/dimitris.htm