[R] Re-evaluating the tree in the random forest

Martin Lam tmlammail at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 9 15:04:07 CEST 2005

Hi,

Let me give a simple example, assume a dataset
containing 5 instances  with 1 variable and the class
label:

[x1, y]:
[0.5, A]
[3.2, B]
[4.5, B]
[1.4, C]
[1.6, C]
[1.9, C]

Assume that the randomForest algorithm create this (2
levels deep) tree:

Root node: question: x1 < 2.2?

Left terminal node:
[0.5, A]
[1.4, C]
[1.6, C]
[1.9, C]
Leaf classification: C

Right terminal node:
[3.2, B]
[4.5, B]
Leaf classification: B

If I change the question at the root node to "x1 <
1?", the instances in the left leaf node are not
correctly passed down the tree anymore.
My original question was if there was a way to
re-evaluate the instances again into:

Root node: question: x1 < 1?

Left terminal node:
[0.5, A]