[R] Debugging R/Fortran in Windows

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Fri Sep 9 10:51:07 CEST 2005

James Wettenhall wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to debug an R interface to a Fortran subroutine from Windows.
> (Yes, I know I should try Unix/Linux as well, but a quick attempt
> suggested that the (MinGW g77) Fortran compiler I have installed on my
> Windows laptop works better on this Fortran code.)
>
> I'm trying to follow the instructions in the "Writing R Extensions" Manual:
>
> Start R under the debugger after setting a breakpoint for WinMain.
>           gdb .../bin/Rgui.exe
>           (gdb) break WinMain
>           (gdb) run
>
> But when I run gdb on Rgui.exe, I get the message:
> "no debugging symbols found"
> and then when I try "break WinMain", I get:
> "No symbol table is loaded.  use the 'file' command."
>
> I'm using R 2.1.1 on Windows 2000 and gdb 5.2.1 from MSys's MinGW.
>
> I'm calling a Fortran function (several times) from R.  And I seem to have
> the basic two-way data communication working - I appear to have
> succesfully passed all required data types (integer, real, double
> precision) to and from Fortran with sensible results both from within R
> and from using WRITE(FILENUM,*) from within Fortran.  But unfortunately
> there is still evidence of memory leakage.

James, please read the posting guide which asks you to read the R for
Windows FAQ (which includes an answer on the question "How do I debug
code that I have compiled and dyn.load-ed?").

It also tells you to send a question like this (given it is not answered
in the manuals or FAQs etc.) to R-devel rather than R-help.

[hence further responses on this thread seem to be more appropriate for
R-devel]

Best,
Uwe