[R] Win32 network drive install

Thomas Petzoldt thpe at hhbio.wasser.tu-dresden.de
Fri Sep 9 10:13:32 CEST 2005

ssquid at gmail.com wrote:

 >  I want to install r on a windows network drive so that
 > users who have their own Win2000 machines can run something like
 >
 > x:\bin\rterm.exe CMD BATCH x:\url\prog.r c:\out\prog.Rout
 >
 > I do not want to make n users install their own versions of R;
 > I want to install once, and give users the ability to run the copy
 > of R that I maintain on a group shared drive.
 >
 > Given that I've installed r21xx.exe locally on my personal drive,
 > if I re-run the installer and target a network drive, would this
 >  * much up my local install

No.

 >  * make r available to all who can access the network drive ?

Yes.
Don't forget to set the PATH if you want to run it in BATCH mode.

[...]

 > Looks like I could put an image on the server; I'm not quite sure what
 > the steps are to make an executable image or if the files I make an
 > image of are exactly laid out after installing r locally.

Exactly laid out. You can install R to the server or simply copy an
existing R installation from one drive to another. R does not install
things into the Windows system directories and the registry settings are
purely optional.

More reading:

http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rw-FAQ.html

and

http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html

Conclusion: R is a network administrator's friend!!!

Thomas P.