[R] Inconsistence in specifying action for missing data

John Sorkin jsorkin at grecc.umaryland.edu
Sat Sep 3 16:54:33 CEST 2005

A question for R (and perhaps S and SPlus) historians.

Does anyone know the reason for the inconsistency in the way that the
action that should be taken when data are missing is specified? There
are several variants, na.action, na.omit, "T", TRUE,  etc. I know that a
foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of a small mind, but consistency
can make things easier.

My question is not meant as a complaint. I very much admire the R
development team. I simply am curious.

John

John Sorkin M.D., Ph.D.
Chief, Biostatistics and Informatics
Baltimore VA Medical Center GRECC and
University of Maryland School of Medicine Claude Pepper OAIC

University of Maryland School of Medicine
Division of Gerontology
Baltimore VA Medical Center
10 North Greene Street
GRECC (BT/18/GR)