[R] The Perils of PowerPoint

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Sat Sep 3 02:06:16 CEST 2005

On 02-Sep-05 Sean O'Riordain wrote:
> I can't lay my hands n it at the moment - its around here somewhere,
> but in "Numerical Methods That Work" by Forman Acton, the author
> points out that "the result of computation should be insight, not
> numbers"....
>
> ps. an excellent book if you haven't seen it.
> https://enterprise.maa.org/ecomtpro/Timssnet/products/TNT_products.cfm
>
> cheers,
> Sean

No doubt you're correct -- but I associate it with Richard Hamming
(title page of "Numerical Methods for Scientists and Engineers" as
I recall -- yes, for me too "it's around here somewhere" -- another
really excellent book) where he words it:

  "The purpose of computing is insight, not numbers."

to which he adds:

  "The purpose of computing numbers is not yet in sight."

By the way, the Washington Post/Minneapolis Star Tribune article is
somewhat reminiscent of a short (15 min) broadcast on BBC Radio 4
back on October 18 2004 15:45-16:00 called

  "Microsoft Powerpoint and the Decline of Civilisation"

which explores similar themes and also frequently quotes Tufte.
Unfortunately it lapsed for ever from "Listen Again" after the
statutory week, so I can't point you to a replay. (However, I
have carefully preserved the cassette recording I made).

We are not, of course, going Off Topic here. If, in R, you can not
indefinitely extend a tangent, then it's time to extend R.

(Oh dear, I feel a fortune coming on ... )

Best wishes to all,
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 03-Sep-05                                       Time: 01:00:24