[R] source package linking problem under linux

Antonio, Fabio Di Narzo antonio.fabio at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 17:57:26 CEST 2005

I'm having some problems in installing some source packages under linux.
As an example, MCMCpack. An error is raised when linking:

> install.packages("MCMCpack")
[...]
* Installing *source* package 'MCMCpack' ...
checking for C++ compiler default output file name... a.out
checking whether the C++ compiler works... yes
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for egrep... grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking ieeefp.h usability... no
checking ieeefp.h presence... no
checking for ieeefp.h... no
checking for trunc... no
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating src/Makevars
** libs
g++ -I/usr/lib/R/include    -DSCYTHE_COMPILE_DIRECT -DSCYTHE_NO_RANGE
    -c distributions.cc -o distributions.o
[...etc. etc. All compilations are ok]

g++   -o MCMCpack.so distributions.o ide.o la.o lecuyer.o MCMCdistn.o
MCMCdynamicEI.o MCMCfactanal.o MCMCfcds.o MCMChierEI.o MCMCirt1d.o
MCMClogit.o MCMCmetrop1R.o MCMCmixfactanal.o MCMCmnlMH.o
MCMCmnlslice.o MCMCoprobit.o MCMCordfactanal.o MCMCpanel.o
MCMCpoisson.o MCMCprobit.o MCMCprobitres.o MCMCregress.o MCMCrng.o
MCMCtobit.o mersenne.o optimize.o rng.o smath.o stat.o
-L/usr/lib/R/lib -lR
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/3.3.5/../../../crt1.o(.text+0x18): In
function `_start':
../sysdeps/i386/elf/start.S:98: undefined reference to `main'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [MCMCpack.so] Error 1
ERROR: compilation failed for package 'MCMCpack'

I don't know why it searches a reference to 'main'...

Antonio, Fabio Di Narzo.

> version
         _
platform i386-pc-linux-gnu