[R] R binaries, platform independent and Design of Experiments

Nam-Ky Nguyen nkn at turing.une.edu.au
Fri Sep 2 09:05:53 CEST 2005

> a) The sources are available and really easy to compile on all those
> operating systems.
Honestly, I only know how to compile my Java programs. Anyway, we have
been able to work out how to download all files
http://cran.au.r-project.org/. The entire CRAN is 5.4GB. This requires two
DVDs!.

> b) You do NOT want to do numerical computations on software available in
> Java byte code.
You do not want to do heavy numerical computations with R either. Most
statistical calculation using R requires a fraction of a second and I
cannot see a real difference between say 0.05 second and 0.07 second. NKN.