[R] Using non-gcc compilers with install.packages()

Trond Hasle Amundsen t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no
Thu Sep 1 14:26:31 CEST 2005

Hi,

I have built R 2.1.1 on Solaris and OSF1, and used the operating
system's native compiler set. This worked fine. However, when I try
using install.packages() it insists on using g77 etc., which doesn't
exist on those systems.

How can I specify which compilers to use? What about other
compile-time options like LDFLAGS etc.?

NB! Please include me in the CC list, since I'm not a mailinglist
member.

PS. I really like perl's approach to module building. When building
perl modules, it defaults to the same compilers as perl was initially
built with. This seems like a sane approach also for R IMHO.

Cheers,

--
Trond Hasle Amundsen <t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no>
Center for Information Technology Services, University of Oslo