[R] "best" c++ matrix library?

Ott Toomet otoomet at ut.ee
Thu Sep 1 10:32:04 CEST 2005

Thanks for everyone who replied to my question.

I tried newmat myself, seems to be working well.  What I am interested in
is something like

* Fast element-wise operations.  You know, it may be slow in R.

* (Some) control over memory allocation.  I would like to specify when
  the matrix should not be copied.

* Compatibility with R.  At least the way how the matrix data is
  represented in memory should be the same as R has.  Otherwise, the
  data interchange may become slow and memory-consuming.

* And, of course, the basic matrix operations like multiplication,
  inverting, eigenvalues etc....

I am using linux/gcc if that matters.

Best,
Ott