[R] R binaries, platform independent and Design of Experiments

Nam-Ky Nguyen nkn at turing.une.edu.au
Thu Sep 1 01:14:08 CEST 2005

Dear Rexpert,

I would like to thank those who spend time  answering my email on the
burning of a CD with all R binary files for Windows and Linux. I have
tried a couple of suggestions but have not been successful. I will pass
these suggestions to our system administrator and I am sure that he can
sort them out.

I hope that the future version of R will be written in Java so that it is
platform independent. This means there will be a single binary file for
each new version of R. At the moment there are files for Windows, Mac OS,
Fedora 1, 2, 3, 4, SUSE 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, etc.

I also hope that the future of version of R include more DOE (Design of
Experiments) modules. R will be more useful if it is not only a language
and environment for statistical computing and graphics, but also for
design of experiments. I am toying with the idea of adding to R some
modules of my Gendex DOE toolkit (http://designcomputing.net/gendex/). I
learn from an Rexpert that the first step for this exercise is to convert
my java code to C++.  As I do not know C++ (and life is short) please let
me know whether there is an alternative way without this conversion and
whether you can actively help me in this exercise.

Regards,
--
Nam-Ky Nguyen, Senior Lecturer
School of Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science

Please convert Word files into PDF files before sending them to me.