[R] Help with try or tryCatch

McGehee, Robert Robert.McGehee at geodecapital.com
Mon Oct 31 22:32:35 CET 2005

It sounds like you want `try` with the argument `silent = TRUE`. This
will allow you to keep running your program without errors. If you want
to check if the line had an error, you can error control by seeing if
the class of the resulting object is "try-error". For example, let's say
I wanted to make an error-proof `plus` function, such that trying "a" +
2 would result in NA instead of an error.

newPlus <- function(x, y) {
	answer <- try(x + y, silent = TRUE)
	if (class(answer) == "try-error") return(NA) else return(answer)
}

> newPlus(1, 2)
[1] 3
> newPlus("a", 2)
[1] NA

tryCatch is generally useful when one wants to run a script that may
contain errors, and regardless of whether errors are encountered
tryCatch will run a `finally` script after the main script completes.
This is extremely helpful, for instance, if your primary script creates
some auxiliary connections or temporary files that you want to clean
up/delete after the main script finishes, whether there was an error or
not.

Hope this helps,
Robert