[R] Hilfeanfrage

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Oct 30 18:13:27 CET 2005

Thomas,

On 30 October 2005 at 17:05, Thomas Herbst wrote:
| Sehr geehrtes R-TEAM!

The list operates in English as a casual look at the archives would have told
you.

| Wie Sie sehen, besteht die Variable "worldindex05r" aus 3 Spalten "V1, V2,
| V3". Rechnen kann R aber nur mit den numerischen Werten (V2, V3). Das ist
| mir klar!
|
| Wie kann ich nun gezielt einzelne "V´s" auswählen, z.b. für ein Histogramm?

[ Question was how to subset columns of a data.frame or matrix ]

You _really_ want to read 'An Introduction to R' -- which came with R
installation, or an equivalent manual. There are lots of them, the
http://www.r-project.org website and the mirrors of http://cran.r-project.org
carry a couple free pdf manuals.  As for your question:

    > skewness(worldindex05r[,c(V2,V3)])

is one of several ways to select specific columns.

| Wie kann ich einen Plot erstellen, z.B. mit V1 = Nur Datum auf der x-Achse
|  und  V2(Kurse) oder V3(log.Renditen aus V2 ) auf der y-Achse?`eee

[ How to plot x vs y ]

One of several ways to plot one variable against another is

    > plot(worldindex05r$V1, worldindex05r$V2)

How to take logarithms is left as an exercise to the reader ...

| Dann würde ich noch gerne wissen, wo die LINEARE REGRESSION(einfach und
| mehrfach) bei R zu finden ist?

[ Where is linear regression, simple and multiple ]

Had you read the manual, you would know that

    > help.search("linear regrqession")

can provide a first lead, which can often be complemented by

    > RSiteSearch("linear regression")

In this case you are out of luck because as statistics refers to this as a
'linear model', so

    > help(lm)

is what you need.

| Vielen Dank im voraus.

It's a pleasure, but you now owe it to yourself to a) read some of the
manuals and b) the posting guide for this list.

| Thomas Herbst
|

| Ein kleiner Nachtrag meinerseits: Die Hilfen von R sind für
|  "Nicht-Mathematiker" eher schwer zu erschließen und sie liegen leider nur
|  in englischer Sprache vor, obwohl das Programm selbst mehrsprachig
|  ist. Warum?

[ R docs are hard for non-mathematicians, and missing in German ]

This is a _volunteer_ project. Feel free to close some of the gaps by
submitting a German language manual. I am sure someone would be glad a to
proofread it for you.

[ Statement about the state of the art, or lack thereof, in Banking deleted. ]

Yes, some of us work in the same industry.

Regards, Dirk

--
Statistics: The (futile) attempt to offer certainty about uncertainty.
         -- Roger Koenker, 'Dictionary of Received Ideas of Statistics'