[R] RODBC Error

Michael Greene mfgreene at bu.edu
Sat Oct 29 23:59:45 CEST 2005

Hello,

I'm using R 2.2.0 on a Mac and attempting to use the RODBC package to
connect to a PostgreSQL server on the local network.  I can't tell
whether my problem is in R, or in ODBC setup.

I got drivers from OpenLink, created a dsn and tested it using the
iODBC application.  then I load the RODBC package, use this code and
get the following error.  I tried with both the odbcConnect util and
the odbcDriverConnect util.  I am able to connect to the database
through other non-odbc based database programs from the Mac, so I
know it's not a Postgres setting (like no tcp/ip connections or
something).

 > library(RODBC)
 > channel <- odbcConnect("nfl",uid="postgres", pwd="xxx")
Warning messages:
1: [RODBC] ERROR: Could not SQLDriverConnect
2: ODBC connection failed in: odbcDriverConnect(st, case = case,
believeNRows = believeNRows)

 > channel2 <- odbcDriverConnect(connection="DSN=nfl, UID=postgres,
PWD=vladdy79" )
Warning messages:
1: [RODBC] ERROR: state IM002, code 0, message [iODBC][Driver Manager]
Data source name not found and no default driver specified. Driver
could not be loaded
2: ODBC connection failed in: odbcDriverConnect(connection =
"DSN=nfl, UID=postgres, PWD=xxx")

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Michael Greene